Mission StatementTurboPower LockBox 3 is a FOSS Delphi Cryptographic Library, providing efficient private key encryption, public key encryption and hashing functions.
Main FeaturesThe main features of TPLB3 shall be:
- The user interface shall be clean and simple. For Ciphers and Hashes, two styles shall be provided: A component and an interface pointer.
- IV, salting of ciphers and signalling of IV's shall be managed and hidden from the developer-client.
- The main encryption functions shall be implemented in 100% native Delphi code. (TOpenSSL_Signatory component is the exception to the rule).
That is to say it shall not rely on links to third party libraries (at least as far as the core functionality is concerned).
- Supports Delphi/Pascal version:
- Delphi XE2; (platforms: Win 32-bit and Win 64-bit).
- Delphi XE;
- Delphi 2010;
- Delphi 2009;
- Delphi 2007;
- Delphi 2005;
- Delphi 7;
- Easy traceability to standards. Developers should be able to open cipher standards and open the respective implementing source code; put them side-by-side, and very quickly observer that one implements the other. The implementing source should borrow the style and symbols and the specifiying cipher standard.
- It shall be as easy as it can be to extend the library with new hashes and block ciphers.
- The selection, implementation and usage of ciphers shall be divorced from the chaining mode.
- Support for:
- Delphi XE2 - OSX platform;
- Delphi XE2 - iOS platform;
Important note about TurboPower LockBox 2TurboPower LockBox 3 IS NOT TurboPower LockBox 2 and the API is different.
TurboPower LockBox 2 was and is issued under MPL1.1. That has not changed.
TurboPower LockBox 3, from 3.0.0 to 3.1.0 was issued under LGPL3. LGPL is different to GPL. Please don't confuse it.
I have released LockBox 3.1.3 and onwards under a dual licensing scheme, much like SoftGems VirtualTrees. Users can choose to distribute it according to either the conditions of LGPL3 (*not* GPL, remember) or MPL1.1 .
LockBox 3 has no code in common with LockBox 2 and is a different library. The TurboPower LockBox 2 license has been fully respected. You are free to continue to use LockBox 2 as you have always done. It's MPL licensing has not and will never be changed.
LockBox 3 has the same core mission as LockBox 2. All of the main functions and features of Lockbox 2 are furnished in LockBox 3, but without copying a single line of code. The spirit of LockBox is its intended offering of features (AES, DES, 3DES, various chaining modes, MD5, SHA-1 and RSA). Because of this, it is right and proper that LockBox 3 is entitled "TurboPower LockBox 3". For various reasons relating to cryptographic integrity, if your project is in Delphi 2010 or later, I would recommend that you choose LB3 over LB2. However upgraders should be advised that the API is a lot different.
I also maintain Lockbox 2. Lockbox 2 continues to be offered and available on an MPL1.1 basis.
The LockBox forums are available for either Lockbox 2 or Lockbox 3 questions. The forums are activly managed.
Main functions and features of the two libraries.The main functions are:
|Function/Feature||TurboPower LockBox 2||TurboPower LockBox 3|
|3DES||yes||yes (both KO1 & KO2)|
|AES||Rijdnael, probably conforms||yes|
|RSA key sizes||128, 256, 512, 768, 1024||range 512 .. 4096|
|Chaining modes||ECB, CBC||ECB, CBC, CFB8, CFB, CTR, ECB, OFB, PCBC|
|RSA sign & verify (native code)||yes||yes|
|RSA sign & verify (OpenSSL wrapper)||no||yes for Win32 but marked experimental at this stage|
|SHA-2 family||no||yes, including the new SHA-512/224 & SHA-512/256|
|Win64 platform||no, but probably not too much work to adapt it.||yes|
|Bundled unit tests||no||yes, extensive set of test cases provided|
Grokk Your Cryptography Here!Caveat Emptor - For those upgrading from LB 3.4.1 or prior to LB 3.4.2 or post, please read the Caveat on the Grok page, linked below.
- Grok TurboPower LockBox - All about downloads and product acquisition.
- ReleaseHistory - The LB3 Project Release history.
What's new in 3.4.0 ?With 3.3.0 as the baseline, the 3.4.0 version delivers:
- An OpenSSL wrapper for RSA functions, which include:
- Generate key pair
- Load/Save public/private keys in PEM format
- Sign and Verify
- Only works with a fairly recent version of libeay32.dll, namely, at least version 220.127.116.11 is required.
- Demo program enhanced to include demo of the OpenSSL wrapper.
- Optional UTF-8 password for TCodec with UNICODE enabled compilers.
- Delphi XE, XE2 support
- Win 64 platform support
- Installer support extended for Delphi XE, XE2
- Fixed bug in TRandomStream.Initialize() for the Delphi 7 compiler.
Limitations and known defects in 3.4.0 include
- DUnit test cases not yet covering the OpenSSL wrapper
- DUnit test cases not yet covering the 3DES Keying Option 2
- The installer not yet tested for Delphi XE nor Delphi XE2
- The Delphi XE project head may be versioned 3.3.0.X instead of 3.4.0
- Saving/Loading private keys from the TOpenSSL_Signatory component in encrypted format, not yet working. For now, save your private keys in the clear, and add your own encryption if required.
- Help wiki pages not yet updated for the OpenSSL wrapper component.
TurboPower LockBox 3 Help
The LockBox 3 help home page can be found here. Please be patient as the online help is still under construction.